Kelvin Kiptum

The four men alleged to have visited the deceased marathoner Kelvin Kiptum days before his death have revealed  their intention of visiting  the marathoner’s home.

The four who had first been detained at Kaptagat Police Station in Elgeyo Marakwet  before being transferred to Iten revealed that their visit was strictly business related.

Their arrest comes days after Kiptum’s father asked for an investigation to be launched on them alleging that they did not identify themselves during their visit.

The quartet  said the reason they sought out Kiptum was to discuss the particulars of a Ksh.45 million contract signed between the late marathoner and a Chinese company. 

“The Chinese company was to supply sports equipment to Kiptum to be used during the Chicago marathon and it is alleged that Kiptum opted to use a different brand and not the Chinese brand as agreed,” Elgeyo Marakwet CCIO Joshua Chelal said.

The Chinese company  aggrieved, decided to send  the four men to negotiate on their behalf on whether they could be compensated or if they would be given another opportunity to supply Kiptum equipment for the forthcoming Rotterdam race slated for April 2024.

The quartet’s lawyer, Kipyegon Lagat, revealed that his clients are well known to Kiptum’s family, further adding that the four had a fruitful discussion with the late marathoner during their interaction.

“None of my clients were sent from State House as alleged by sections of the media,” said Lagat.

Echoing his sentiments while addressing  the press after arrest, one of the men dismissed the father’s account of their visit saying that they had even taken official photographs to show their visit was harmless.

“I happen to have gone to the deceased home na tukawa na discussions mzuri sana. I even prayed we spoke na mwisho baba wa Kiptum pia akawa mtu wa mwisho kuomba. We were served tea, na tulikuwa na mazungumzo ambayo ilikuwa mzuri sana So after that I gave him my number and then after that, we took pictures outside the home. I was very shocked when I heard that that we were strangers,” he said.

According to Lagat, the four are not  under arrest but are required to report back to the CCIO on Friday as investigations continue.

Meanwhile, burial preparations of the late Kiptum have began with the organizing committee stating that indicating that the late athlete will be laid to rest at his home on Saturday, February 24.







Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *